Search This Blog

Big Boy Bed

>> Monday, August 15, 2011

Well the time has come - Jackson is officially a toddler and no long my baby boy.  I certainly wish that I was saying this because I had a baby growing in my uterus, but that is sadly not the case.

Instead of transitioning Jackson into a big boy bed to free up his crib, we had to make the conversion purely out of safety for our little monkey.  It all started Thursday night through the wee hours of the morning, said monkey climbed, jumped, and leaped out of his crib and waddled his way into our bedroom a total of four times.  While I'm sure this is just a residual affect of the three rounds of steroids he's been on this month, we decided it was probably time for a big boy bed anyway.

I cried like a baby when I had to pack up his crib bed skirt, and flashed back to putting him in his crib for the first time like it was yesterday.

We made sure to make a big deal out of Jackson's new bed and even let him help us put everything together.  However, when nap time came Jackson was completely frazzled by his "broken" bed and kept saying "uh oh" and refused to ever really nap.

Bedtime was about as unsuccessful as nap time and hasn't gotten much better.  My good little sleeper now finds his way to our room at least once an hour, on the hour.  He's even so nice as to close each door behind him.

Waking up to your toddler staring at you while you sleep is a little eerie, to say the least.  Needless to say, I'm a very sleepy momma today and have quickly been reminded what sleep deprivation is.  And for a second, I think twice about hoping for sleepless newborn nights again:)

I know this phase too shall pass - or I'm putting the crib rail back up and tenting Jackson in until he's 18!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Jennifer August 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM  

Wow - look at that big boy bed! I've still got my two in cribs for now. I'm hoping to hold off until they're around 3 -- we'll see how I do ;)

Congrats and good luck with the transition. I'm sure he'll get used to the 'freedom' soon and return to his usual good sleeping habits!

Ashley August 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

Ohhh gosh, he is getting so big! No advice for you here, but just wanted to say good luck! XO

And in 10 years we will be WISHING they were climing in our beds wont we ;)

Amy August 16, 2011 at 7:19 PM  

I had to laugh at the toddler staring at you in the middle of the night. I'm just waiting for that day! Good luck with the transition, Brady's not far behind but I'm afraid...very afraid :)

rodefamily August 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

Try investing a gro clock. We use one with Elizabeth ad between that and locking her door, she stays in ER room all night now.

Jennifer August 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

You said...this too shall pass. My boys did the same thing, walking in to my room became the norm. Naps stopped for a bit. But once the novelty wears off, hopefully Jackson will love his new bed and sleep like a baby :)

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails