Search This Blog

Another day, another doctor

>> Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Y'all, I think I'm going to have to change the name of my blog to "mother who spends her life in a doctors office with a sick kid"! Seriously, something has got to change.  Between co-pays and prescriptions for Jackson, I'm going to go broke! However, I have high hopes that things are going to get better.

During Friday's appointment with our pediatrician, Jackson got a cortisone shot and we were told that Jackson needed to be allergy tested ASAP.  Well Friday night was by far the worst night, ever! I expected the shot to help and boy was I wrong.  We rotated between breathing treatments, hot steam shower, the recliner, our bed and the couch.  Jackson's cough and wheezing was just terrible.  Words cannot describe the pain and struggle Jackson was in. Not to mention, he also ran 100 degree fever most of the night.

I'm no doctor, but since when do you run fever with allergies.  And if this was an allergy/asthma coughing attack, then his fast-acting rescue drugs should have helped, but did not.

Since none of us were able to sleep and staying inside didn't seem to help, we decided to walk in the Race for the Cure Saturday morning.  Surprisingly, Jackson did really well.  He coughed a little during the walk, but nothing at all like the night before.

Again, I'm no doctor, but if this was allergies then wouldn't he be worse outside with Spring in full bloom?!?

Saturday night was amazing, Jackson slept from 10PM straight through to 8:30AM.  Hallelujah, the medications must finally be working!!!

We all woke up Sunday feeling so refreshed and hopeful.  However, as the day progressed we were singing a different tune.  The coughing kept Jackson from napping and playing and he got very pissy.  The days of coughing were finally catching up to him and bringing him down fast.  With every cough, you could just watch him hold his chest in pain.  Talk about heart breaking and feeling so helpless.

First thing Monday morning, I called our pediatrician and told him something was just not right.  I begged for something to help Jackson's cough - he said to give him honey.  I mean seriously, honey.  I try and keep my blog PG, but I'm sorry, you've got to be fucking kidding me.

Well, all I can say is thank God for my momma! As I've said before, she is a pharmaceutical drug rep and spends her days with allergists and pulmonologists.  So literally within the hour, she had her top docs looking at Jackson's medical history and working together to figure out what in the hell is causing him to be so sick.

We were able to get in to see an allergist yesterday, and we finally feel like we're heading in the right direction.  Here's how our appointment went:

Is it possible that Jackson has allergies?
Absolutely.  He has a tone of clear mucus in his nose, which is causing a good bit of drainage down his throat.  

Are his allergies bad enough to make him this sick?
Not likely.  A child younger than 2 should not be this sick just from allergies.  There's something else going on here.

Does he need to be allergy tested?
Maybe, but again, we need to find out the root of the problem first.  And this isn't it.

Shouldn't his maintance (pulmacort) and rescue (Xopenex) medication work better?
Exactly, Jackson's on a very good dosage and he doesn't seem to be responsive to either.  We did a treatment in the office and confirmed that it didn't really help.  This would indicate that the big problem isn't asthma, which is a good thing.  I would love for Jackson to be asthma free!

So, what gives?!?
Looking back on all of the medications Jackson's been on since January, he was not properly treated for Pneumonia.  We did steroids and breathing treatments for the RSV, but no antibiotics for the bacterial Pneumonia infection. In her personal opinion, we're dealing with an unresolved case of Pneumonia.  Jackson should have been hospitalized when he had RSV and Pneumonia, with out a doubt.


His ears looked great, no blockage at all.  She said not to worry about the hearing test, Jackson is obviously not deaf.  He's a boy and he's sick.  We need to get him well and then see.

Now what???
Jackson is on a super strong antibiotic for the next 5 days, and he got more steroids yesterday and today.  She changed up his medications a little bit, including a different GERD medication twice a day.  Silent reflux could also be a factor here.  We need to dry up his nose and get his lungs cleared up!

In a perfect world, by this time next week, we'll have a perfectly healthy Jackson! Fingers and toes are doubly crossed hoping that this finally fixes our precious boy!!!

Jackson's revised medication list
My little boob man before the Race

Oh.So.Pitiful.

Riding:)
Photobucket

9 comments:

Unknown March 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM  

Poor, poor guy! I really hope the new doctor can finally get Jackson well. I hope he starts feeling better soon. Keep us updated!

Amy March 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

oh my lordy. I'm so sorry momma, you and poor jackson! I hope this means he is on the road to recovery--for good! I'm glad the dr said that about his hearing! :)

I had super bad allergies and mine are always worse before it rains and brady is the same way. :( We had brady tested for a few things (milk, peanuts, dust, cat, dog) and it was super easy and painless but we can't do further testing till he's 2 (which we will have to do...) I hope you guys get some kind of answers!!!

I have heard a lot of kiddos who don't get the 'right' treament after rsv has so many problems for a while! It's so not fair for those kids! :(

Lea Liz March 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Bless his heart, and yours!!! How frustrating!!!! I know how hard it is when your little one is sick! I hope these new meds and dr can get him all fixed up :)

Love his boobman shirt for the race!

Ashley March 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

This is all jsut so werid, I knwo it is not the same and all. But Will has silent reflux, GERD, really runny nose and cough! I know lots of babies in STL right now hospitilized with RSV!

Ohh and Will had a bacterial infection (found that uot from the brochospocy) he was on antipiotics for 10 days

Everything just seems so similar! Keeps us updated on the progress!

Meant to be a mom March 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

Oh my gosh, this whole thing just makes me sick.
Seriously you need a new Pedi immediately.
I'm so sorry sweet Jackson has been feeling so horrible. You guys truly have been going through so much.

Thank the lord for your mom and her job and help. I'm so glad someone is finally giving him the right care. It amazes me how some pediatricians just suck.

the glover gang March 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM  

poor, poor, poor little angel!!!! i just cant even imagine how difficult and frustrating this must be on you too! pryaing that it IS the unresolved case of pneumonia, so that he can start feeling better! when i was a baby i had an extrememly bad problem with reflux, and it kept me up many nights coughing, so hopefully that new medicine will help! praying for answers for you guys, and peaceful rest! what a little trooper he is! and just the cutest thing!!!!!

Colton's Mommy March 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM  

I hope Jackson is feeling better now and your new doctor can help with a correct diagnosis. Colton had croup a couple weeks ago and I did buy him some honey cough syrup (made specifically for little ones so it had no "drugs" in it) and it worked GREAT!! I even took it last week when I was battling my cold and it worked for me as well.

Jennifer March 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM  

OMG...I am gald someone is finally singing a different tune when reviewing his medical history. As I have said to you before, you know when something is not right. Hopefully if it is unresolved pnemonia, this will do the trick. My fingers are crossed :)

Amanda September 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

Your post sounds as if you're talking about my son. He has asthma with fluid in his ears and a congested cough. When he was born he had a blockage in his lung that they never figured out what it was, he was sent home after three weeks of testing and procedures every day to then develop a collapsed lung..fast forward to present day and he is on pulmicort, albuterol, prilosec and the assorted antibiotics when his ear infections come back. Its unsettling when drs cant find out whats wrong but i pray that your son gets and stays healthy and grows strong and happy.

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails