Search This Blog

Our kid free weekend adventure!

>> Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This past weekend was certainly one to remember...or at least blog about:)

It all started a couple of weeks ago when my sister wasn't feeling her best and my mom decided that she needed a little mommy siesta before the arrival of Ellie.  With this week being Megan's first week back to school, we all thought it would be best for Amelia to spend it with us in Louisiana.

Could you imagine being 36 weeks pregnant and going back to work after having the entire summer off?!? I worked up until the afternoon I delivered Jackson, but I don't teach 20 little second graders and can prop my feet up all day!

Anyway, Thursday night my parents drove up to St. Louis to spend the weekend and then bring Miss Amelia back to Louisiana with them on Sunday.  Oh, and they took Jackson with them for the weekend road trip adventure! Yes, these are some rock star grandparents:)

I had a little pregnant/hormonal breakdown in the driveway Thursday night as they pulled away...okay, it was big ugly crocodile tears, but only because our little dude is growing up so fast.

When we asked Jackson if he wanted to go to St. Louis he started packing his own bags faster than we could process what was even going on! I absolutely adore the fact that he love my sister and parents so much, but we could not believe how excited he was.  And knowing that we weren't going didn't bother him one bit.

Jackson gave us huge hugs and kisses, and looked me in the eyes and said, "Momma, I'll be right back okay.  I'm just going get my 'melia's and then I'll be home.  I'm coming back!".  Cue the momma tears...
The house was incredibly quiet and felt so empty Thursday night.

Getting dressed Friday morning was peaceful, but just didn't feel complete without my morning sugars.  But, by Friday night, we were ready for our first kid less weekend at home!

Mr. and I went out for a dinner and movie date, and enjoyed catching up with one another...way more than the movie.  And I can't tell you how excited we were to sleep in on Saturday morning without any interruptions...or so we thought!

At about 5:30 Saturday morning a storm came through that was something else! I really thought the thunder was going to rock our house down.  The lightning cracked and lit up our room like 4th of July fireworks.  This continued on and off all morning. Mr. ended up getting up pretty early and I eventually fell back to sleep.

By 9 o'clock, Mr. made me get out of bed...these are fighting words in our house, so I knew there was a damn good reason for his request.  And when I got out of bed I could hardly believe my eyes.  In two short hours we had 4" of rain and our neighborhood had flash flooded.


The bank around the pond and 6' walking path all under water!
Thank God the water never made it into our houses, but the roads stayed under water for hours.  Mr. even played Swamp Superman and helped clear off some drains so our pond could drain faster.  It was a sight to see!
Since we were housebound a good portion of the day, I got so much done in the house.  Laundry and ironing.  Toy organization.  Finished Jackson's big boy room.  Started moving stuff in and out of Mattie's room, which was Jackson's play room.  It felt so good to get so much accomplished!
New chest of drawers to replace the changing table/dresser!
To finish off our crazy day, we had a wonderful date night with one of our favorite couples.  I wish I would have taken some pictures of the night, but we had an amazing dinner and conversation...and a sip or two of wine:)
Sunday was finally our morning to sleep in.  Mr. and I drank coffee in our PJs until noon and went for a nice bike ride around town.  We attempted an afternoon at the pool, but the rain scared us away.

We anxiously awaited my parents arrival with the kids, and were greeted with amazing dino sized hugs and kisses! And just like that, the weekend came to an end and our home was full again:)
 Photobucket

3 comments:

Mrs. Harvey August 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM  

I have tears in my eyes, because I can relate, and because I can't remember the last time that we had a kid free weekend at home or elsewhere that wasn't for someone else. We did have a kid free weekend in May, but my husband was in a wedding that we had to go to, and we were busy with wedding festivities, so we didn't get much time to ourselves. Gosh...I'm getting emotional just thinking about it and thinking about the fact that we really need time alone. Bad!!

KJJ Houston August 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM  

I can not wait for ours!!! I am so happy your house didnt get flooded, omg it got so high!
You are the cutest preg little mama ever! xo

Jennifer September 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

Hey there Momma! You are looking so cute as your belly is growing. I am laughing as I read this because although you may be hormonal, I would probably have tears too if one of my boys was leaving for the weekend. But, I am sure they wouldn't last long...lol! Hope you are feeling well.

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails