Search This Blog

Grandma's 90th birthday

>> Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Today would have been my Grandma's 90th birthday. For as long as I can remember, she always said she'd live to be 90. She made it just three months shy. But, I wish she was still here. I wish that she was still with us, physically. I wish that we were celebrating her day with her today.

Instead I have tears in my eyes and a lump in the back of my throat just thinking about her. I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to call her, to see her, or tell her about Jackson's first boo boo, or his ears, or have him blow her a kiss.

Jackson brought so much joy to her life, but I don't think she ever knew how much joy she brought to ours. It saddens me that Jackson won't remember is first year with her.

Grandma was 38 and my grandpa was in his late 40's when they finally got pregnant with my mom, she was their only child. I must have inherited my fertility struggles from her. Neither one of my grandparents ever thought they'd live see grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

My grandpa passed away when I was 11 and my sister was 8. So, Grandma never took one day for granted. Everyday was a gift from God. She fought stage 4 ovarian cancer for almost 5 years. Chemotherapy was pumped through her veins every other week as she fought to be with us - to see both of her grandchildren walk down the isle, to see her great-grandson's first year, and to tell my sister that she was pregnant.

My Grandma was nothing less than extraordinary and today will always be her day. I'll forever fight to live a lift that would make her proud.

Jackson and Grandma on her 89th birthday

A heart that loves is always young.
- greek proverb
Photobucket

9 comments:

Carly September 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

Great post. And great picture of your grandma and Jackson.
Carly

Courtney September 15, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

Thinking of you today. My grandmother's 88th birthday would have been on 4th of July & I was much more emotional than I thought I would be. What a gift to have those incredibly special women grace our lives.

Jamie September 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

such a sweet post! im sorry for your loss.

Christina September 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

What a beautiful post. Thinking of you! Cant wait to see you we need to talk photos! XO

Jennifer September 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

I am sure your Grandma is looking down and smiling. Even though she is not here with you, she still sees all that Jackson is doing. I am sure she was and still is very proud of you as a wife and mother. Happy Birthday to her :)

Julia Ladewski September 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

what a cute picture!! grandmas are so special!!!

Unknown September 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

Happy 90th birthday grandma!

Meant to be a mom September 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

What a sweet post. I'm sure you grandma is smiling down on you up in Heaven right now. I'm so sorry that she is unable to be here in body to celebrate this special day. But I think its really special that you are thinking of her and missing her especially today. I'm sure she loves you very much.

Tatiana September 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

What a great story... I'm sorry for your loss. I grew up with my grandparents, and hate thinking about the fact that one day they might not be here...

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails