Search This Blog

Thoughts on Easter Baskets

>> Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lately I've been made to feel like I have the bah-hum-bugs for Easter?!? I know none of the comments were meant personally, but I'm just not seeing the need for "over the top gifts" at Easter.  Growing up Easter was a simple holiday, with pretty church clothes and an Easter Egg Hunt in the neighborhood. The "Easter Bunny" would bring us little goodies, but nothing over the top. Jelly beans, chocolate, and maybe a new swim suit or beach towel.

I say this because twice in the last week I've been asked what gifts Jackson was getting for Easter - what, huh?!? This isn't Christmas or a birthday.  The only thing he knows about Easter is that Loli & Pop's house is full of bunnies that we count every night, and that there's jelly beans on the kitchen table.

Jackson is convinced that the Easter Eggs are just balls and throws them everywhere, causing them to break open, which makes him laugh and say "uh-oh".  And that's pretty cute, so we put them back together and he does it all over again!

Don't worry, I'll surely put together an Easter Basket with bubbles and eggs full of jelly beans, and maybe a beach ball or two.  But, that's pretty much the extent of his "gifts".  Besides, I'm far more concerned about what he'll be wearing then having another toy:)  And I'm sure the matching Easter outfits my mom bought for the grandbabies are the cutest outfits ever, no really!

I'm certainly not judging any of you that may have big gigts all wrapped up and ready for the bunny to deliver, I'm just saying that it's not on my to do list.  I'll leave the over the top gifts to Christmas:)

What are you doing for your children's baskets, do you do baskets?!? Am I the only one with these feelings???
Photobucket

8 comments:

Meet the Brummett's April 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

Girl you are totally not alone! It seems as if everyone I know is giving their children presents (extravagent gifts at that) for Easter and I just don't get it at all. The only reason the girls are getting some bubbles and books about God, you know the reason for Easter, is that I don't want them having that much candy. You better believe that as they get older the only thing that will be in their baskets are some candies!

Jamie April 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

i haven't gotten kane a thing! im a horrible mom! i'm pretty sure we won't have an easter egg hunt either because the weather here is disgusting. it's been raining for the last week and so muddy! plus, it's supposed to rain fri, sat and sun. so, to answer your question i totally agree. easter is for candy. my husband grew up totally different, easter gifts were HUGE (like LV purses etc) and his mom still buys easter gifts for my SIL who is 25! crazy!!!! not how my kids will be raised!

Ashley April 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM  

Im thinking of letting Will get gifts from his grammies this year, will he really ever know if I put together a basket of puffs and baby food or not?!? :)

I agree with you dear!

Courtney April 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

I'm right there with you. A basket with some bubbles, side walk chalk and stickers. In the future I'll probably add fun candy and a book that is faith-based, but that's about it!

Amber April 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

I'm with you Mama! I stuffed Jax's basket full of toddler friendly stuff and a new pool float and jammies. We aren't coloring eggs and we didn't even get a picture taken with the Easter Bunny. I like to keep Easter simple. We'll be going to church and spending time with the ones we love the most :).

KJJ Houston April 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

my parents get him huge Easter baskets with novelty stuff, but we dont get him anything. :) but not major presents! no way jose

Jennifer April 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM  

I'm not an Easter basket fanatic. I fill their baskets with goodies like Peeps, Cadbury eggs (which are really for me), jelly beans, a new outfit, Thomas the Tank sneakers (which they NEED) and random things from the $1 aisle at Target. I have family who buys their kids concert tickets and bikes and give them out as Easter gifts. I just don't get it.

Lant Family April 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM  

Yeah I am not even do that much candy! I am kinda a scrouge about it too I guess. I just hit up the dollar store and section of target for a couple fun outdoor activities for spring.

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails