Search This Blog

Sick Momma

>> Monday, April 12, 2010

I am finally back to normal, but let me tell you last week was not fun! Two words - Sick. Momma.

It all started last Tuesday evening. We went for a walk after work and went about with our nightly routine. I bathed Jackson, nursed him and went to lay him down. About that time I started to feel nauseated. No sooner than I shut his bedroom door, I was sprinting across the house to my bathroom... where I literally spent the next twelve hours.

I don't think I have ever been so violently ill in my life. By Wednesday morning I was so dehydrated that I lost 8 pounds and my "baby nursers" were as dry as the Savannah desert. I was in a panic. What if my milk doesn't come back?!? This is not how I wanted this to end.

When Jackson woke up at 6am for his morning feeding, my chest was flat, I was beyond weak, I had nothing for him. I laid in bed while my heart broke as I listened to my baby scream. Mr. tired to give him a bottle, but he would not take it. Jackson only takes a bottle when I am at work, so this was not at all what he wanted. Not to mention that Mr. had been up with me all night and was exhausted himself. To make matters worse, he had to be in court early that morning, and I was no help. It was a pitiful morning!

So, I did what we all do when we're sick. I called my mom to the rescue. Within 30 minutes, she had my step-dad at our house dropping off 7up and picking up Jackson. Mr. was able to make it to court. Jackson's nanny watched him at my parent's house and I stayed home and slept almost all day.

I was slowly able to keep down 7up and ice chips. I Googled the heck out of "what to do when your sick and breastfeeding". All sited pointed to nursing as much as you can, even when sick. So, I tried. I didn't have much, which meant that I had to nurse more frequently for a couple of days. I am glad that I did though. I love nursing Jackson and am certainly not ready to give it up just yet.

I don't get sick often, so this bug really knocked me down. I wasn't able to eat until Saturday, which made me so weak and tired. Not exactly a good combination when you have a super active, teething 10 month old!

The good news is that my baby nursers are back in business today. The bad news is that I have a pretty good idea what I'll look like when I'm done being a milk maid. And well, Mr. said that I'll just have to get pregnant again to fill them back up, ha!

3 comments:

Amber April 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Oh my goodness! I'm glad that you're feeling better :)

Unknown April 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

You poor thing! Thank goodness for parents who will come to the rescue.

I hope you're feeling better!

Meant to be a mom April 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

Thank goodness your still able to nurse, but bless your heart. How terrible for you. I'm glad your feeling better.

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails