Search This Blog

RSV & Pneumonia

>> Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My poor baby is sick, really sick.

Jackson got progressively worse all of last week.  By Saturday night he was terrible, and still running fever since last Tuesday evening. Jackson's little teething/cold from Friday had turned into something fierce. He was gagging and gasping for air. His cough quickly turned into a bark, and the wheezing about gave me a panic attack.

On Sunday the breathing treatments were not helping - at all.  I took Jackson to an urgent care and the doctor said that Jackson had RSV and/or Mycoplasma pneumonia. He didn't even run tests of him because he was so "text book". We left the urgent care and headed to our trusty pharmacy for more prescriptions.

More antibiotics, more oral steroids, more breathing treatments.

Sunday and Monday night were rough. Watching your child struggle to breath is so hard. I just want to crawl inside of his body and breath for him. When we woke up Tuesday morning, I went straight to our pediatrician's office. I just didn't see any improvement in Jackson and holding him down for 15 minutes, every 4 hours for a breathing treatment was wearing me down.

Our pediatrician was in shock when he saw us. He could not believe that Jackson's little cold turned into this - He confirmed that Jackson definitely has pneumonia and tested positive for RVS.

Jackson got a big shot of stronger antibiotics in his thigh. Then a stronger steroid breathing treatment...which scared all of the babies in the waiting room. Poor boy had just had enough, not to mention he also had an allergic reaction to the shot in his thigh. So, now we're doing a inhaler instead of the breathing machine, and this makes Momma happy!

After Jackson's pretty traumatic doctors appointment, we dropped off more prescriptions to be filled and then headed to the hospital to have some lab work done. We're all concerned as to why Jackson keeps getting so sick. Jackson was not happy when they had to draw his blood, but luckily the lab was next door to the gift shop so I got Jackson a lot of balloons:)

Today was a better day. The antibiotics seem to be doing their job and Jackson is breathing much easier! We got his blood test results back this afternoon, which just confirmed his diagnosis and didn't find anything wrong or alarming. Thank you, God!

I've been working from home all week, and trying to keep Jackson quiet. The more active he is, the more he wheezes. Surprisingly, I have been able to get a lot of work done. I'm hardly sleeping so I can listen for Jackson's breathing, so I have a lot of time to work!

I can't help but wonder if Jackson's having all of these respiratory issues because he was born 4 weeks early. I hate that my body wasn't able to cook him as long as he needed to be. And although he looked perfectly healthy and was almost 8 pounds, maybe his lungs needed more time.

I'm seriously considering putting Jackson in a bubble, for the next 18 years!



Jamie January 13, 2011 at 6:08 AM  

oh my goodness!!! i am so sorry. poor jackson! i'm glad things are turning around. you guys need a big vacation after all you have been through the past few months!

Jennifer January 13, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

Poor Jackson. That first picture breaks my heart. I'm glad he's getting better!

Amy January 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

oh poor, Jackson! That sounds literally awful. I hope he feels better soon and YOU get some rest too! Poor guy can't catch a break.

Don't feel guilty about him being early, which, wow, 8 pounds and 4 weeks early, holy moly!

Heather January 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

what a sweet little guy--how sad he has had such a horrible cold season! I have a cold and I think I might die--I can't imagine how he must feel.

Meant to be a mom January 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM  

This just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry to hear how sick he's been. First and foremost, don't you dare feel like this could be any sort of your fault for not being able to carry him. In no way is this your fault. Cooper has had some bad breathing problems as well and he was only a couple weeks early. His lungs were fully developed and great. So hopefully that all has nothing to do with it. I'm no doctor so I don't know for sure but I hope it doesn't.
I hope he gets to feeling better. Poor baby, I will definitely keep him in my prayers.

stacey January 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

Poor little guy, and poor mamma. I hear you about the 18 year bubble. WOuldn't that be fantastic?!

the glover gang January 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

awww! bless his little heart! praying jackson gets better so soon! poor little angel! and mommy!

Karen At Home January 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

Aw, your sweet boy is so sick!! I can feel your pain just by reading your post. I feel so awful for him but glad he is on the mend. Do not blame yourself, one thing I have learned in the first year is that babies get sick, a lot!!! I pray he is 100% soon. Have a great weekend!


Lindsey :) January 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

You poor things! I hope he feels better soon and I hope you can get some rest!

Lyr January 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM  

Hi! I just came acorss your blog and loved what I read. Hope you don't mind another follower!

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. I can't stand it when my babies are sick. I'll be praying for fast healing!! I use to have a foster sister that needed breathing treatments and it just broke my heart.

Nice to meet you!

carina June 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

Hi there, I would love to hear how ur wee man is now as i have just returned home with my 16 months old daughter who was born 5 weeks early weighin 4p16ozs, who has also been struck with RSV and Pneumonia it honsetly thought i was going to loose her after been sent home twice from hospital last week sayn nothing was wrong to end up havind a 5 days stay in with this nasty thing, I dont have much justice in the health system her. My daughter Holly had high temp that pamol didnt bring down, coughing, Vomiting blood and everything else, rapid breathing and heart rate, low oxygen stats and a very lifless litlle girl, iv never been so scard of a sick child in all my 10 years of being a parent. Holly is still vomiting and is still very tired, has been sent home with only an inhaler, NO antibotics and her fever went down 24 hrs ago. m just a little worried that the pneuomina will come back without the propper treatment.
Be great to here from u.
Thanks Carina

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails