Search This Blog

Meeting Amelia

>> Wednesday, February 2, 2011

At 4AM last Thursday morning the alarm on my iphone went off. I am so not a morning person, but this wake-up call was to get on a plane to go meet my sweet niece, Amelia. After numerous calls through-out the nights from my sister, I was more than ready to get up to St. Louis and help her. Nursing was not going well and Amelia was just not eating. These make for a bad combination with a new mommy! One night Mr. was even giving advice through the phone in the wee hours of the morning:)

So, I brushed my teeth and finished packing my bag in just enough time to wake-up Jackson and rock him for a few minutes before we had to leave for the airport. I've only left my boys for one night at a time, so I had some anxiety about being so far away for 3 nights.

Mr. and Jackson waved me good-bye and I waited for my flight to board.  I had a quick layover in Houston, TX, and was in St. Louis by 9AM.  My dad picked me up and drove me out to my sister's house.  It was the longest 30 minutes ever! When I got to my sisters Amelia had just finished nursing and was all snuggled up in their bed.  I  crawled in with them, and snuggled my little heart out! I seriously don't think we moved for an hour.  We sat just checking each other out and getting to know one another.  Don't worry, it was love at first sight:)


Later that morning Amelia was more than ready for a little manicure and spa treatment.  So like the good aunt that I am, I cut her nails and washed her hair.  It was the first time her hair had been washed, and we couldn't believe the poof she got.  I have a feeling she's going to have her momma's hair!

The rest of the day was spent trying to get Amelia to nurse.  That little girl is just so tiny, I don't think she ever knew she was hungry.  After a quick assessment of watching them nurse I realized that Megan and Amelia would both benefit from a nipple shield.  I hadn't heard of these when I first started nursing, but man did they make a night and day difference for them! Amelia instantly latched, sucked and hasn't stopped since last week. She up to 6lbs.1.5oz. and everyone is much happier!!!

Needless to say, once the nursing problem was solved, we were all able to relax.  I spent my days picking up the house, switching out loads of itty bitty laundry, running errands, and snuggling Amelia.  I missed my boys like crazy, but I was so happy that I made this trip.

Amelia peed on me more in those three days then Jackson ever has.  No sooner than I had her bathed and dressed for the day, she'd poop on me and we'd both have to start over.  I tell ya, I think boys are a little easier then girls in this regard.  At least boys give you a little warning that they're about to pee on you!



My sister is already an amazing mom, and her hubby, well he's pretty great too! Amelia is such a lucky little girl to have so many of us that just love her to pieces.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty blessed to be an aunt to such a sweet girl.  I can't wait to watch her grow and spoil her.  That and she may have kicked my baby fever up just a tad as well:)
Photobucket

7 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life February 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM  

OH my gosh, HOW BADLY did this make you wanna have a baby RIGHTTHISSECOND??

and ohmygosh that headband bow is better than her head! what a precious doll! I love the hat with the pompom.

So nice to have you there to help w/ the nursing situation. So many moms need that support. I read your post the other day about weaning...we also had EVERY issue in the book (and the latching? OMG she was terrible)...but here we are 9 months later and I'm so freaking glad we stuck with it!

Lant Family February 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

She is such a doll, I love all her hair. Both my kids were so bald I think I fall in love with every baby with hair. I have to use a nipple sheild with both my kids ( I think my nipples are kinda flat?? TMI??) It made nursing in wierd places or anywhere for that matter pretty hard because you have to have it in the right place. But it saved my nipples, they were never cracked or hurt. I woud suggest that she tries to get off of it and the baby gets a little bigger maybe. It just will make nursing a little easier. How fun you got to go help and visit, I am sure she really appreciated you.

Jennifer February 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM  

Before I say anything....those hats and headbands are the cutest ever!! They are bigger than her little head :) I think it is so great that you left your boys to visit and help your sister. I am sure she welcomed your advice :) It is so great that you have another little one to share your love with :)

Chelsea February 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

New follower here! Love, love, love your blog! Hope to see you around mine sometime...

http://vandylandmommy.blogspot.com
Twitter: @ChelsVandy

Amber February 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

Oh my gosh, sugar sweet! :) Love her hair, hehe :)!

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails