Search This Blog

Baby Nursers

>> Thursday, February 25, 2010

*Warning to readers out there that haven't breastfed, you may want to skip this post.

One word to describe my baby nursing breasts - efficient. They have never been engorged. They don't leak, I haven't worn a nursing pad since the first month. I produce exactly what Jackson needs. I have never had to pump after a feeding because I was still full. We're totally in sync. Our routine, the let down, the flow, the amount. They just work, and well. This may be why breastfeeding has been so easy and why we're going on 9 months exclusively.

With all that said, yesterday was a day I wished my ever so efficient baby nursers weren't that way. I headed to New Orleans for two client meetings, a quick day trip. I nursed Jackson before I got on the road and I packed my pump, as a just in case. I would be there and back. I'd only miss my morning pumping session and be late on my second. No problem, right?

WRONG! My meetings ran late, I was in a city with no place or time to pump. I ran from one meeting to the next. I was in a new client meeting during my normal afternoon pumping session. I crossed my arms, I tried not to think about it... but my baby nursers looked like I had breast augmentation done yesterday. The man sitting across from me said three times that it must be a little nippy in here. Seriously, men just don't get what we go through. Never mind how totally inappropriate his comments were, he will not be a new client!

Anyway, the meeting ended I just wanted to get home. I got in the car and drove, the pulsating of the engorgement was manageable. About half way home I was wishing more than anything that my totally efficient baby nursers would leak. Just enough to relieve some of the pressure. No such luck. By the time I made it back to town I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. Even my armpits hurt, it felt like I had rocks in my breasts.

I pulled into town at 6, just in time to miss rush hour traffic. I should have been able to fly home. But, of course it never fails. Whenever you're in a hurry to get home, there's something to delay you. The delay - a Saints player signing autographs and launching his clothing line at the health club on my route. Perfect. Traffic was backed up for miles. I finally made it to my parents to get Jackson. And I have never been so happy and relived to see my son. He was a trooper and ate his little heart out. I may have almost drowned him with milk a time or two, but I had relief!

Lessons learned:
1. 12 hours is way too long to go without pumping or nursing. Don't try it!
2. Get a car adapter to plug your electric pump into your cigarette lighter.
3. Read the instruction on how to turn your electric pump into a manual pump.
4. Have a burp cloth ready for the projectile spit up that comes soon after your fill your baby's tummy with three times his normal feeding!

And lastly, thank you to those who talked to me last night while I was on the road to help get my mind off of the pain:) You're the best!

5 comments:

Amber February 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

I can't believe a man actually said that to you! What a creep, haha! Glad you got some much needed relief finally!

L February 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

I second that, cant believe he said that!

And YOU made me LOL so much!-"I may have almost drowned him with milk a time or two, but I had relief!"

Meant to be a mom February 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Wow that guy was very inappropriate. Not cool!
I can't believe someone would say things like that.

I'm glad you finally were able to get home and get relief, that is such a terrible feeling, I remember.

Megan February 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

Oy! I have been there! Not fun. We're probably going to start Ramsey on cereal when she turns 6 months next month. It's going to be weird to not be her only food source. :(

Tim and Heather February 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Kristen, LOL! You crack me up. Sorry you had to experience that, but I can only hope I'll be as lucky as you with breast feeding!

P.S. What a freaking jerk! I would have said something about acting like a high school boy. :)

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails