Search This Blog

Nanny Interviews

>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010

When I was pregnant with Jackson, we interviewed a handful of girls to be our nanny. We hired the one we liked best, just by gut feeling. Finding someone you can trust to be in your home and care for your children is overwhelming. I mean, you are trusting this person with your life!

As full-time working parents our nanny is with Jackson, during his awake hours, more than we are. It's sad, but true. Our nanny gets to have the everyday playtime, the walks on sunshiny days, the giggles, the leisure. By the time I walk in the door and blink, it's bedtime. Thankfully, we have the weekends. But, you see my point. You can't just hire anyone to be this special person in your child's life, this extension of you.

Unfortunately, our nanny is ready to move on. So we have started the dreaded nanny search process again. We pay well. We encourage our house to feel like home. We don't ask for much, and who wouldn't want to spend their day with Jackson:) Seriously though, being our nanny must be appealing. We have girls lined up to interview every night. It's just hard finding the one. We've learned a lot over the past nine months and know what we're looking for this time around.

The girls all look great on paper. Most sound pretty good on the phone. If I like them from that point, I schedule an interview at our home. Let's just say that we've had a few disappointing interviews. I had really high hopes for the girl we interviewed last night... Mr. and I kept waiting for someone to knock on the door and tell us we were on hidden camera.

Here are a few highlights:

Me: So I read that you've been a nanny before. Can you tell me about a challenging situation and how you handled it?

Girl: Well this one time I closed my eyes for a minute. When I woke up, the kids had tied my hands together and put tape over my mouth.

Me: Really, wow. You must be a heavy sleeper.

Girl: Yah, well it wasn't that bad. They didn't know how to tie a very good knot. I got loose pretty quick.

Me: Wow, that's a good thing.


Girl: Is Jackson allergic to animals?

Me: I don't know, but we don't have any pets so this really isn't an issue.

Girl: I have 10 cats, 4 dogs, a parrot, and had a peacock until a fox ate him.

Me: Oh wow, you must love animals.

Girl: I would prefer watching Jackson at my apartment. I live with the boyfriend. The apartment is pretty well baby proofed. I can come and pick him up in the morning.

Mr: I would prefer him to be in our home.

Girl: Maybe once you get to know me.

Me: Maybe so. Well, thanks for your time. I'll be in touch.


This is a true story. Nothing has been embellished or exaggerated. Where was the hidden camera!?! Needless to say, she won't be our new nanny. She sleeps on the job and I can't even imagine what "the boyfriend" and animal filled apartment must be like!

Here's to hoping tonight brings better luck!

3 comments:

Meet the Brummett's March 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

I mean seriously, I WISH you would've had a hidden camera set up...you could have made money off of it! I'm sorry you guys are having to go through this and I wish we lived closer so I me and the girls could keep Jackson. It is so unfortunate when you trust someone to take care of your child and in return they act like they are being put out by a job that they voluntarily applied for. Hopefully the new nanny will be love Jackson and enjoy spending time with him as opposed to feeling taken advantage of and playing on the computer

Ashley March 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Ugh ohh my gosh, though that was funny I do feel bad for you! You will find someone just takes time. Where are you looking to find these people, did you post ads online?
I have decided I want someone to come to our house as well, I dont want to take our baby out of bed every morning to go to a daycare, Your post has be scared for a search! Good Luck babe!

Kristy Sola March 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Wow that is amazing. I dont even know what I would say. I wish I could be your nanny. I was a nanny for like 5 years before I had my own kids and it was such an amazing job. Don't worry you will find a great nanny even if it takes a little time, it will be worth being patient and finding the perfect person to take care of your little angel. Good luck and you'll be in my prayers.

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails