Search This Blog

Flying with Jackson

>> Thursday, July 8, 2010

Flying to St. Louis with Jackson was better than I anticipated it to be. Like I said, he is one busy boy. Jackson loves to cuddle, but good luck getting him to sit on your lap and be still! I packed Benadryl, but never had to use it.

I booked our flights so that take off was right around nap time. This would have worked out perfectly, except for the fact that we couldn't fly direct. Oh the joys of living in a small city! Jackson nursed during take off and slept soundly on the first leg of our trip coming and going. This was a great little power nap for him, which meant that sleeping on the next leg And of course, our first flight was the shorter of the two flights.

Thankfully, we had lots of toys, snacks, and Loli & Pop to help keep him entertained. We used our Backpack diaper bag from Pottery Barn Kids for the first time and it was awesome. Being able to wear the backpack and chase Jackson through the airport terminals and lug him around was great. If you're going to be flying with a little one, this is the way to go!

Going through security was completely different here then it was in St. Louis. When we left here, I told security that I had a jar of baby food and a sippy cup with water. No big deal. They didn't even go through my bag. We walked through with a breeze, and were sitting at the gate an hour before the plane boarded. We wanted to be sure and allow plenty of time for security, which wasn't needed.

Since going through security was so easy coming, I decided to bring home all the extra food my sister had for Jackson. Mistake. It ALL had to be checked. Even his sippy cup was litmus tested. Jackson's shoes had to come off. And he had to walk through the check point screening machine. I'm not complaining at all, anything to keep us safe! I'm just saying that all of that wasn't worth bringing home a couple of dollars worth of baby food.

Boarding the plane and flying was pretty easy, I really shouldn't complain. Jackson didn't have an issue with his ears popping at all. I made sure to nurse him during take off. However, I wasn't able to nurse during the decent. He was either sound asleep or way too busy to slow down to nurse. Puffs and cookies did the trick though.

Overall, I'd say that this trip was a success, and it sure beat riding 12 hours in the car. I have my 10-year reunion back in St. Louis this fall...and I'm really tempted to fly!



Jamie July 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

we have flown with kane twice in his little 8 month life and he has totally surprised me both times! he was an angel! in fact it was the child behind us who did all the fussing- such a relief! i would hate to be "that mom!"
we just moved to ohio from texas 3 weeks ago and i was alone with kane in the car for 17 hours! we split it over 2 days and he was an angel! my car doesn't have a tv but i borrowed one from my aunt and duck taped it to some luggage and it kept him so happy! I had a laundry basket full of treats, food, toys in the front seat so it kept him busy! i'm sure you will be surprised if you decide to drive!
wow that was long!

Claire July 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

I am soo happy that it went smoothly for you! Next year we plan on flying to the Grand Canyon and we will have a 2 year old and a 8 month old and I was really nervous that maybe they would get headaches or something like that..but nursing or having some juice at take off is perfect..thank you for the wonderful tips!

Jacqueline and Andy July 9, 2010 at 3:44 AM  

A backpack is a great idea!! We have our first flight scheduled in September and will need all the tips we can get!!

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails