Search This Blog

Then vs. Now: Working Momma

>> Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I came across a picture of myself {a frightening picture of myself} that was taken the day before I delivered Jackson. A local photographer asked if he could come to my office and take pictures of me at work. {I had waddled through a client's photo shoot with him the week before} Philip was submitting photos for a story about pregnant women in the workplace. The topic was how it is no longer uncommon for women to be found in the workplace up to their delivery day.

This was true for me. The day that I had Jackson I sat through an entire lunch meeting with a new client. Contracting every 4 minutes the.entire.time. I apologized for grunting a few times and explained that I was in labor. I had just come from my doctor's office and was 6cm dilated, 100% effaced with a bulging bag of water. I don't know what's worse - the fact that they weren't really impressed by that information or that I came to work and didn't go home and prepare for baby?!?

Anyway, I digress. The point of all of this was looking back on what my office looked like before Jackson. My white office was really bare. I had two pictures, one of Jackson's ultrasound and one from my wedding. That was it. Pens, pencils, and a notebook.


And today, you have to move the pictures of Jackson to even find a pen. My bulletin board is now a collage of pictures. My notebook sits on top of my Mom Agenda and my breast pump stays plugged in 24/7.


No matter where I look I'm reminded why I'm sitting at this desk. I work to help provide a lifestyle for Jackson. Do I wish that I was home with him? Of course! But I can't spend my days thinking about that. Instead, I think about all that I can afford for him because I'm here. At work. For him. For us.


Photobucket

12 comments:

Lisa July 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

You are a rockstar momma! I remeber you posting about that meeting, amazing!

Love your workspace!

Lindsey B July 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

I have a feeling my boring office will be making this same transition come March!

Amber July 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Love the office! I finally decided when I am going to go back to work and I actually called the state to find out the status of my insurance licenses and everything is in good standing and still active so I decided to go back in the Spring of 2012. Jackson will be 2 and he'll start pre-school. I am so excited and READY to go back. I'll especially be ready 18 months from now. It's been a blessing being at home but I really miss the routine and structure of my old life. Woo hoo for working Mommas! :)

Ashley July 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

ha ha, ohh how things change ;)

Ummm what in the heck were you doing in that meeting lady? And why did they not care, craziness!!!!

Jenni July 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

Great Post, and I can totally relate. My office/desk area is FULL of photos. All which are of T and the hubs. I used to be a clutter freak, now not so much..
=)

Caroline July 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

Your office is so cute!!! You look so cute in your pic!

Betsy July 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

Yowsa! And I thought I was driven working up to the day before he was due. I don't think I would have gone in labor!

Susan DiMickele July 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

What a fun blog - can definitely relate to the photos. Joining you from WMW. My office is not nearly so cute!

KJJ Houston July 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

Yay for working moms!! :) Beautiful one at that!

Julia Ladewski July 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

i love this post!!! i love the pictures. and i love your blog!! i'm so glad you linked up and i found you!!!

seriously, i'm speechless. you took words right out of my mouth. I worked the day before I was induced w/ my 2nd child.

Jennifer July 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

I can't believe you were in labor and at work. I took the easy way out...I worked from home the last 2 weeks..LOL! I love that you have made your space a reminder of your life and home. Nothing is more important than your family and they are right there with you. Love the pump on the floor..LOL! And you look beautiful in the head shot...love ur hair :)

Jamie July 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

totally know what you mean. i didn't work until i was in labor but i worked until the very last day- never missing 1 day during my whole pregnancy. i was very proud of myself. lol i had to go back to work and try and pump but my job didn't really allow for pumping time. we were so busy and i was on my feet all day so sadly my milk supply went away 12 weeks after having kane. i wish i could pick it back up now. thats for sure. it would save a lot of money!!! (just another perk of bf) i too got a nanny- only way to go!!! when we moved to ohio last month i couldnt find a job so we had to down size BIG time. it is quite an adjustment. next baby i have i am so getting the pumping bra you talked about. i think you are awesome for working, pumping and being a mommy. it is so hard!!! getting up at 5:00 am and getting off at 4 got really old, really fast! you make it look so easy!!!

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails