Search This Blog

Jackson's follow-up appointment

>> Monday, November 8, 2010

I took Jackson back to the doctor on Friday morning for his follow-up appointment from the week before. Jackson is getting better, but he is still not 100% well.

Like a true momma in denial, I walked into the appointment with the breathing machine to return. My pediatrician politely told me it was ours - to keep - and that's we'd need to use it as needed to treat Jackson's wheezing or next flare up.

Then he checked Jackson's ears and they still had fluid in them. After a weeks worth of antibiotics, he would have liked them to be better then they were.

At this point I brought up the fact that Jackson really doesn't talk. I mean he says a word or two, but nothing consistent. Not even momma anymore:( Jackson is stubborn and spoiled. He doesn't have to talk or ask for anything. Half of me wonders if he can talk, but chooses not too. And the other half of me worries it's because of his ears. {Sometimes it is very hard to get his attention, but that could just be a boy thing?}

Either way, I was sent home with a referral to a speech therapist. They also did an ultrasound on Jackson's ears and discovered they were far worse then the doctor thought.

So, poor Jackson is on a heavy duty dose of antibiotics for 10 days to clear up the infection. If his ears aren't clear after this round, then we're off to the ENT. He'll likely need tubes, which makes me so upset.

Don't get me wrong, I know that we are beyond blessed. I just hate that my baby is sick. I thank God for our health everyday, and pray for those babies {and parents} that are much sicker than Jackson.  I know in the big picture, this is really nothing to worry about.

Oh and as a note for my records, Jackson lost a pound from the week before and was an inch shorter. The nurse just got a more accurate measurement for his height, Jackson weighed 28 pounds and was 32 inches tall.




Photobucket

7 comments:

Ashley November 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

Thinking of you guys and little J!
I know what you mean, try to be thankful for what you can but sometimes it is hard. :)
Loves!

Megan November 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Poor baby! I hate when they're sick! I'll pray for Jackson---I hope he's well soon!!

Anonymous,  November 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

poor kiddo! hoping he's feeling better soon!

Jennifer November 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

The ears are so hard :( I think kids are either get ear infections all the time or barely get them. Hopefully after this round of antibiotics he will be feeling better. And even if he does have to get tubes, it is all for his benefit and that is what you have to keep in mind. As far as speech therapy, get him tested. I had Christopher tested at that age but he was denied services because they all base it on their comprehension skills. I can tell you more about it if you are interested :) But he is a boy...and they tend to have selective hearing anyway :)

SarahEdgeworth November 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

I have been a lurker for a while but I thought I would share with you because I had a similar story. I have a son who is 15 months old. He had chronic ear infections from 6 months on (he was a exclusively breast fed baby as well). We went to the ENT and they did a hearing test- I almost cried with what he could not hear! We finally got tubes for him at 10 months. It was the BEST thing we ever did. He immediately started babbling more and hearing things better. He added many words to his vocabulary just the week after. It was the easiest surgery ever and I am so glad that we did it for him. He has had one ear infection since and was cleared up with drops instead of antibiotics that affect the rest of his body as well.

Meant to be a mom November 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

Poor Jackson, I'll be praying for him to get better. I sure hope things clear up. Otherwise I do know lots of kids who had to get tubes and they seemed to help with them getting sick so much. If worse comes to worse hopefully that will help clear it all up.

Jenni November 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

It goes by SUPER fast!!
But I will say, I would definitly go see the ENT. My Son also had Ear infection after infection, finally we were sent to the ENT and I was told he would need tubes. I was scared beyond words. My son was only 9 months.. Not fun. We had to do it though. The procedure was super quick but, the after effects of no longer getting sick, and no longer suffering with ear infections has been AMAZING!!! T is one healthy little boy and funny thing, his tubes fell out right before his 2nd b-day and of course 2 months later he got sick with strep. Ugh..
I definitly think it helped T devolepmentally as well with speech and hearing.. Can you imagine all that dang fluid behind your ears.. its so muffled. Anyway- Good Luck. I hope he starts feeling better.
I blogged about it here as well: http://mommyoftristan.blogspot.com/2009/04/tubes-are-in-recovery-begins.html
Hope that gives you a little peace of mind. =)

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails