Search This Blog

Steroids, Antibiotics, and a Nebulizer for my Toddler

>> Monday, November 1, 2010

Well friends, it's never a dull life in the Wilson's. Last Friday sure proved that! It all started with a runny nose on Wednesday... of course that was because I scheduled Jackson's 16 month well baby visit for Friday. Every time I schedule these appointments, he comes down with something!

I didn't think much of the runny nose. Jackson slept great that night, so I figured it was just his allergies. Thursday night I gave Jackson his allergy medicine and had Mr. set up the humidifier in his room... well, let's just say we didn't get much sleep that night.  We've had a rough few nights, with not much sleep.

At one point Thursday night I thought about taking Jackson to the ER for his wheezing. I've never heard Jackson sound like this before.  I knew my baby was struggling to breathe.  My sister had asthma as a child, and this was all I could think about. Jackson sounded like a 90-year-old, chain smoker. It was terrible!

We went to the doctor first thing Friday morning, and I laughed as we checked in for Jackson's "well baby" visit. It was obvious that Jackson was not well!

Turns out that Jackson may have allergy induced asthma, we'll know more this week after they run some tests. The good news is that he responded well to the medication. I'm still not convinced that he didn't just have a respiratory infection, but it may be denial.

Jackson got a cortisone shot on Friday as well as antibiotics for another ear infection. On top of that, we were sent home with a nebulizer for Jackson to have breathing treatments as needed for his wheezing.

At first the breathing treatments were torture! They don't hurt, the machine doesn't scare him, I couldn't figure it out. His first treatment took me and two nurses pinning him down. Not fun! A few mom's recommended not using the face mask strap and distracting him with a show. Hello, genius mommas!!! Thanks to Elmo, his treatments have been successful.

Everything seems to be under control for the time being. Mr. and I are so ready for the steroid high aka Tasmanian devil, side effects to wear off. Jackson is like a ball in a pinball machine. Literally, he's bouncing off the walls and climbing everything!

We cannot thank everyone enough for the thoughts, prayers and advice! I'll be sure to update as we know more. Our weekend was relaxing, full of lots of cuddles and kisses:) We didn't trick or treat, but Jackson was as cute as can be handing out candy!

Sick Baby J
First treatment at home with Momma and Mr., not good...
Thankful for momma's advice, Elmo was the perfect distraction.  No more tears or fighting the treatment!
Big boy, fishy face:)


Lindsey November 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

Oh no! I hate that your little man was so sick but I am so glad he is responding to the treatment. I'll be thinking about y'all!

Amy November 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Aw, poor little man! Good thing for Elmo! I hope he gets better soon!

That is something I worry about since it runs in my family and I (we) have awful allergies! NO fun! Get better little man!

caycee November 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

Poor little Jackson! You guys do look cute snuggled together on the couch though :)Hope he feels better and sleeps better tonight!

The Wife November 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Poor boy!! Those pictures look so sad! Hope he gets all better!

Jennifer November 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

OMG...poor little Jackson. I feel horrible. I hope that the medicine is working and that he is feeling better soon. He is still too little to know that he missed trick or treating. What is important is that he has his Mama and gets lots of love :)

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails