Search This Blog

Family Date Night

>> Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's no secret that I don't cook much, or at all. I occasionally bake something. And I can follow a recipe, but I'm no Betty Crocker. Sometimes I feel guilty that Mr. never comes home to find me in an apron, cooking him dinner. But that guilt often gets buried under everything else, including "mom guilt".

In my defense, I only have the hours of 6-7:30pm to be Momma. And during that time Jackson nurses twice, has a bath and gets put down for bed. I couldn't imagine trying to cook dinner during that time too!

Don't get me wrong, we eat, it's just sandwiches or leftovers after Jackson goes to bed. Our nanny feeds Jackson his dinner before we get home from work. I'm sure this will change as he gets older, but it's what works for now.

Since we eat so well during the week, insert sarcasm, we like to go out to dinner on the weekends. Fridays nights are always "Wilson Family Date Night". We look forward to it all week, it's one of our family traditions:)

We like to go to nice places, but I'm always mindful of everyone else and their dining experience. I never want Jackson to disrupt others and ruin their dinner. So, Friday night Mr. had to twist my arm a little. He really wanted to try out a new hibachi restaurant that he read about. To be honest, group dining with a toddler just made me nervous!

After some convincing, I let my guard down and decided what the heck?!? When the hostess sat us you could tell people were not happy to have us join them. I hate those looks. You know, the disapproving, why would you bring your kid here to ruin my night, kind of looks. But, we sat anyway. I ordered a glass of wine and blocked them out.

The waitress must have picked up on my apprehension. She brought out a fruit tray for Jackson to snack on {she must have known this would get her a nice tip at the end of the night}. So, it didn't take long for Jackson put the charm on.

The chefs kept Jackson very entertained. The fire and juggling of knifes had him completely mesmerized. And I couldn't have been more relieved.

There's something amazing about watching children experience things for the first time. I love watching Jackson explore the world around him:)

Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone can be a good thing:)
Photobucket

7 comments:

KJJ Houston August 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

ahhh I love this post! I too hardly cook, I really just dont know how to.. and when I do I feel like I spend so much at the store trying to get the ingrets to make it...
But Im on a kick to looooooose weight so we are eating at home more often.
Its so hard what to feed these kids too I feel like he gets the same thing. What does your Nanny make him?

Jamie August 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

you shouldn't have ANY guilt!! i honestly don't know how you manage to blog and bf still! ha!
this post is sooo weird! i have the same pictures to post from this past weekend! we went to benihanas, except for lunch. kane LOVED watching the "show"
you should go where ever you want for dinner!! i'm assuming you aren't eating out at 9pm so the people have to realize 5-8 is family dinner time! your little man is so cute anyways, how can anyone be bothered by him??!!!

Lisa August 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

I wouldnt feel guilty, who cares what people think! Its nice to have a tradition, We have Friday Family Movie Night every week and Kay really looks forward to it!!

Jennifer August 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

I think it is great that you are okay with what works for your family. Not every woman has to be a chef and as long as Mr. is on board...take advantage of family date night. It is good that Jackson is learning from a young age how to act in a restaurant. Many people who never take their kids out until they are older, usually have more problems!!

Lant Family August 25, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

Yeah we take our kids everywhere. It is hard for us to find a babysitter and so we have just learned to go with the flow. What else sit at home all the time? We are in Atlanta right now and yesterday took the CNN tour and there were people on that tour giving us some looks. Oh well. We paid to go just like them :)

Carly August 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

I know exactly how you feel when you go out and get "the stares" from people. Especially now that Jackson is almost three, he can definitely have his moments of total breakdown. But the hibachi grill places are great because they keep them entertained. I just try to avoid places that I know take forever or that are overly crowded. I know it shouldn't matter but really it's more about the fact that I don't want to have to spend money to eat out and not even get to enjoy my food because I'm focused on trying to keep him busy. I cherish the very few times we've gone out just the hubs and I and I can just eat. Isn't that bad. =)
Carly

Tim and Heather August 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Kristen, I'm totally that way with taking our kids out to restaraunts. We take stuff to entertain them, and walk around with them when they're fussy. I hate it when people give us that "look" though, when the kids are being perfect angels. They just need to get over themselves :)

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails