Search This Blog

PreTerm Labor

>> Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wednesday, May 20, 2009.
Flashback to one year ago today, when I almost met my baby way too soon.

I should have known that Jackson was going to be a very busy baby when he tried to come into the world 7 weeks early. I also should have paid closer attention to my body and realized the signs of preterm labor.

I was swelling pretty bad even on my restricted, no sodium diet. My doctor warned me to slow down and take it easy, but I did not listen. I pressured myself to finish the nursery in time to host Mother's Day brunch. I put on a craw fish boil for our entire neighborhood. I worked full-time. I ironed every. piece. of. clothing. in my Mr.'s closet. If you know me, all types of red lights would have been flashing. I'm all about the dry cleaner and never iron!

I hadn't felt right all week. I was going to the doctor on Thursday and planned to let him know. I was 33 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I went to work. I got my hair done. I went home and decided that Mr. and I should walk. Walking made me sleep better, helped with the swelling - and that night, made my cramps and backache better.

During my pregnancy we walked two laps around the block, one mile, each night. But, I convinced Mr. that we needed to walk more. We walked four laps when Mr. made me quit. My stomach and back was cramping so bad. I went inside and took a bath to help, I thought I was having back spasms or something. The thought that I was in labor never crossed my mind.

I was up all night. Moaning, tossing, turning, using the bathroom too many times to count. Again, the signs were all there. I just kept telling myself it was nothing. But, I felt an incredible amount of pressure. Thank goodness I had a doctor's appointment the next day. I told the nurse about the pressure I was feeling and how terrible my night was. She asked my doctor to check me just to make sure nothing was going on.

I'll never forget the look on my doctor's face. I was 3cm dialed and 50% effaced, what?!?. He sat me up and started talking to me about premature babies, the NICU, bed rest and steroid shots that would help Jackson's lung develop.

I was sent home on strict bed rest and had an appointment the next morning. By that morning, I was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. I spent the weekend in the hospital so they could find monitor me and the baby. I got the shots to help Jackson's lungs and would spend the next two weeks on Procardia every four hours. The contractions never stopped, but they we're strong enough to make me progress.

The weeks ahead of us were intense, trying to cook my baby boy as long as my body would let me. At 35 weeks my placenta was aging and ready to evict Jackson from my uterus. I stopped taking the contraction medication and went back to work. That week was the longest week. To be continued...


T & T Crafts May 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

Good Morning! I'm here for Meet-Up
Monday :) What and emotional experience, and I'm so glad to see your little man looks happy and healthy. Stop by my blog if you get a chance :)

HauteSingleMama May 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Hi! Stopping by from the D-List. (you're featured today if you didn't know!!)

What an amazing story, can't wait to hear the rest! I had all those same signs and symptoms, but ended up delivering! You just don't expect it to be labor before it's "time".. it just never crosses your mind!!

Can't wait to read the rest!


Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails